Monday 28 January 2013

31DC Day 28: Inspired By Your Favourite Colour

Greetings All!

I'd firstly like to say a quick thank you to everyone who said such nice things about my manicure yesterday. I didn't feel great about it, and I didn't feel great generally, but all your comments made me feel better so thank you!

On to today's nails. My favourite colour is black, but I already did that for my favourite polish! My other favourite nail colour is gold (again, already done. Twice actually!). I decided to use my favourite 'non-nail' colour, if that makes sense. I really love red, my room is decorated black and red (and my blog lol), but I don't often wear red polish, and never as a base colour (ok maybe not NEVER, but extremely rarely). I find that red more than any other colour stains my nails. Before I started wearing base coat, it would stain my nails for weeks sometimes. So it gradually got taken out of rotation. I also find that red is quite a boring nail colour to wear, and almost a little cliche.

However, now I've said all that, I'll show you pictures of me wearing red as a base colour! To avoid staining, I put about 3 coats of base coat on! Keeping it thick meant I was also able to peel the majority of it off, as nail polish remover seems to really help it stain. So, relatively painless! Relatively.



















Yes, that's right, after all my worrying over staining, I did a gradient! Yes, it went everywhere. Yes, it took forever to clean up. Yes, my fingers look a little pink because of it. And if it looks a bit weird and thick, well it was. I took some inspiration from The Nailasaurus, whenever she does a gradient, she mixes up the order for an accent nail. I've done the same thing. My gradients are definitely getting better. I still struggle though with getting a straight line. They all look a bit wonky! However they have got the 'fade' look so I am improving!

The red is OPI The Thrill of Brazil, my default red. It's perfect: not too orange, not too pink, not too blue, just glorious fire engine red. It's leaning a little orange in the pics, but that's my cameras fault. Oh! And it stamps. That's just the icing on the cake! I then did a gradient using red and W7 Black, painting it onto the sponge, then sponging on my nail.

Overall, I like it, but I don't love it. However I am now keen to try wearing red again (with black stamping...mmmm!) so that's something.




Tomorrow I must be inspired by a blogger. I'm always inspired by bloggers! Without them, I wouldn't be here talking to you!!



Make sure to check out what colour has been inspiring other people!

2 comments:

  1. I love the colors you chose for your gradient. It's a great shade of red

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nicole, it IS a great shade of red! I think everyone should own this colour it is the perfect quintessential red!

      Delete

I love it when you awesome people leave comments! I read and treasure them all, and I'll always respond to a question as soon as I can.

Appropriate blog links are tolerated, but please be reasonable.